Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rajasthan, are you ready?

Because we'll be heading there tomorrow. Rajasthan is a state, in northern India, that encompasses many wonderful and beautiful cities. It's quite dry there and desert like in large areas, from what I'm told. We will be visiting Jaipur, Ranthambore, and Udaipur and then a pleasant and wonderful day in Mumbai to visit Vikas' parents. This is going to be great. We are due for an actual vacation. I can't wait to see everything and happily be a tourist and do some touristy stuff, while I wield around my gorgeous hunk of a camera. :)


Below is a link to a google search for Rajasthan, in case anyone is interested in learning more about the state. http://www.google.co.in/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=rajasthan


Today will be filled with last minute packing. It's hard to decide what to bring to wear because the temperatures are ranging from 50s to 80s. One would think I would already know just how to pack for that, given where I grew up. Texas is and always has been layering weather. Still, it's hard to pack for that, even after all these years.


I'm also curious to see if there are any, even slight, cultural changes from here in South India versus North India, that I don't already know of. I know of some already, but it will be interesting to witness them in person. I would think languages would be different for sure and there are 1000s of different dialects in the entire country, maybe more, I'm not sure. Please forgive me if I'm getting any of my information incorrect, but do feel free to correct me, as I want to learn as much as possible. There are differences in food. While foods like the dosa are common here in South India, foods like the Samosa are common in both north and south, but are quite different from each other. There are many other foods differences too but I thought I would choose some that are more common and familiar in the U.S.






Dosa - is a fermented crepe or pancake made from rice batter and black lentils. It is commonly served with samber (a vegetable soup), coconut chutney, tomato chutney and sometimes a coriander chutney, also known as cilantro chutney. The dosa can come plain or you can get a wonderful stuffing that is potatoes, carrots, hot peppers (you can sometimes ask for that to be left out), bell pepper (sometimes), onions, lentils, and spices. Sometimes you can also order it to have paneer inside. Paneer is an Indian cheese, which is light in flavor and creamy. In many ways it reminds me of Mozzarella or Queso Fresco. 

A little additional wikipedia infoDosa, a common breakfast dish and street food, is rich in carbohydrates, contains no salt, sugar or saturated fats, and its constituent ingredients of rice and lentils mean it is gluten-free and contains protein. The fermentation process increases the vitamin B and vitamin C content. There are also instant mix products for making dosa, with somewhat lower nutritional benefits. The street food variants may contain contaminants or otherwise undesirable additions, such as relatively high levels of copper. - Many of you should know that you never eat street food, especially from a country you are not from. -

So just note, dosas, especially made at home or ordered at a great place in Austin, called Swad, are nutritious and deeeelicious. Even if you're a meat and potatoes person, you will LOVE a good Masala or Paneer Dosa.

Now Samosas are not so healthy because they are deep fried, but almost everyone loves them. How could they not? My favorites are the vegetable samosas, but then I've not tried the meet versions of them yet either so I guess that's not fair to really say now is it. :) 


These are delightful little snacks or appetizers. If you use Pinterest, I've included these yummy treats and the link to their recipe in my Delish Yummies Board. If you don't use Pinterest, then what are you waiting for? Kidding, here you go: http://www.sailusfood.com/2010/03/18/samosa/

More wikipedia info: Samosas generally consists of a fried or baked triangular, semilunar or tetrahedral pastry shell with a savory filling, which may include spiced potatoesonionspeascoriander, and lentils, or ground lamb or chicken (much like the dosa filling, though dosas from what I've seen, don't typically have meat). The size and shape of a samosa, as well as the consistency of the pastry used, can vary considerably, although it is mostly triangular. Samosas are often served with chutney. The most common chutneys are coriander, tamarind, and tomato, from what I've noticed so far. 

You can read more about the differences in North and South India Samosas here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samosa

I have not had a south indian samosa as of yet, but I do love the north Indian style samosa. That is typically the type you get in the U.S. 

Well, now I'm hungry and it's a while until lunch and my lunch won't be consisting of either of those items, sadly. We've been trying to eat well and exercise, knowing that for a week, we'll be eating out and enjoying some amazing cuisines. I can't wait! 

Keep reading because I plan to have some great photos to share. Some may have to be shared at the end of my trip as I won't have my laptop, but I'll put as many as I can while on the trip. Take care everyone and goodnight to you all in America. To my family and friends, I send you all light and love. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment